GOOD MONDAY MORNING, OTTAWA
Today is the first day businesses can apply for the Federal Wage Subsidy Programme.
The idea is rather than have the Federal Government pay people directly, the government will give that money to private business who will keep existing employees on the payroll, or rehire laid off employees back.
To be eligible, a business must already have registered with the Canada Revenue Agency and have lost at least 15% of their revenue after March 15.
The government will then transfer 75 per cent of the business' payroll next week. It's expected that the business will pay the other 25 per cent.
The Federal Government's intention here is to keep a relationship between businesses and their employees, otherwise when this is all over, there could be millions of people unemployed and asking for Universal Basic Income.
But chancers beware: the CRA isn't asking for a lot of documentation now, but they'll be looking out for those businesses who have not been reporting all their income in previous years but suddenly have a surge now. And it's probably a bad idea to declare your cat as an employee, regardless of how hard it works in deconstruction of your couch.
If you are a business owner, find more information here [Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy]
We’ll see you tomorrow — Martha and Darren
Weather: Chance of showers, high of 11°
There have been 1,110 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa, an increase of 123 since Friday, and 52 deaths, an increase of 17.
City will test all residents and staff of long-term care homes for COVID-19 [CBC]
Tensions run high in Gatineau shelter [CBC]
Community Gardens recognised as essential service [CBC]
Province promises $4 per hour increase to staff at long-term care homes, retirement homes, emergency shelters, supportive housing, correctional institutions and youth justice facilities, and home and community care. Does not apply to those who work fewer than 100 hours or grocery workers. [CBC]
Queensway Carleton Hospital will move 16 patients into a Kanata Marriott [CFRA]
IN OTHER NEWS
Flying Canoe cider blocked from individual deliveries do to archaic rule
Equestrian centres going broke feeding horses
Pedestrians and cyclists can hold on to the Queen Elizabeth Driveway for another fortnight
THINGS TO DO
🧁 Put down that sour dough starter. Ottawa bake shop The Scone Witch has run out of clotted cream, so those that crave a smattering of the good stuff have been out of luck. Until now. The bakery posted a link to this handy recipe for making your own clotted cream to enjoy with your scone order. [Cup Cake Project]
GET ORGANIZED FOR MOTHER’S DAY (MAY 10)
Is your mum an anthophile? Or would she prefer some freshly roasted coffee beans? Here are some gift ideas, all sourced in Ottawa:
☕ Bridgehead Pop Up Bake Sale Round Two starts today. Order baked goods for you and coffee for Mum. Pair items with two small bags of coffee and get free delivery in the Ottawa area. Delivery is only to the Ottawa area. [Bridgehead]
Cut us and we bleed Ottawa. Reply back to us with your comments or suggestions. We read every single email. [email protected]