Send us your event listings for consideration in the newsletter
- Carp Fair 2023 launches with Toonie rides on the midway from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm. Meanwhile, the Beer Garden opens at 7:00 pm and the Ryans bring the live music from 8:00 pm.
- Saltina Shaker and Sunshine Glitterchild headline Brew Revolution’s Drag Revolution show in Stittsville. It’s all beer, snacks, and live drag on a Thursday night.
- Can Geo Talks opens the Fall 2023 season with Karen Pinchin, the author of Kings of Their Own Ocean: Tuna, Obsession and the Future of our Seas. Thursday September 21, 7:00 pm. Pay What you Can.
- The City of Ottawa is holding a free, interactive educational event about road safety at City Hall. In addition to interactive displays demonstrating the visibility of drivers of larger trucks and City vehicles, a bike mechanic will be giving free tune-ups. The event runs 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm at Marion Dewar Plaza.
- It’s International Plavac Mali Day, which celebrates the red wine grapes grown on Dalmatian coast of Croatia. La Bottega Nicastro will have samples of three different Plavac Mali wines with food pairings. Presented by Croatia Unpacked. 11:00 am to 3:00 pm at 64 George St. First come, first served.
- Video Game Music LIVE with F8-Bit. House of TARG
- Indie Thursdays with Kristine St. Pierre. Overflow Brewing
- Grace Petrie. National Arts Centre Fourth Stage
- Irene’s Blues Sessions with Guest Host Vince Halfhide. Irene’s Pub
- John Kofi Dapaah Trio. Montgomery Scotch Lounge
- Grey Brisson, Shim Up in Da Cut, Tax Savior. City Sounds Live, Wedel, Westboro Village
- Dr. Jazz. City Sounds Live, Carmelito Cafe
- Veteran Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akela was fatally shot while reporting for Al Jazeera at the entrance to the Jenin Refugee Camp in the West Bank. Carleton University has created the new Shireen Abu Akleh Emerging Reporter Award in Social Justice Journalism in her honour, and will launch the award with members of Abu Akleh’s family present this evening. The event will also feature a concert with new music composed in her honour. 7:00 pm Carleton Dominion-Chalmers Centre.
- Stroked Ego is having a menswear trunk show this evening and all day tomorrow. Tonight's event will also have cocktails, so plan your visit accordingly.
- Meet reps from 30 charities and not-for-profits needing help at The Ottawa Volunteer Expo.
- Today’s the day to visit Carp Fair if you want to see the animals. The Rabbit Show, the Heavy Horse Halter Classes, the Dairy Show with Holstein and Coloured Breeds, the Goat Show, and even the Horse Pull; they’re all part of today’s Fair experience.
- Bring your own chess board to Queen Jillian’s Chess Club at Eddy’s Diner.
- Laugh with four of Canada’s best stand ups at My Jokes are Up Here, featuring Jen Grant, Christina Walkinshaw, Erica Sigurdson and Rebecca Kohler. Meridian Theatres at Centrepointe, Nepean.
- Art House Café becomes the Somerset Western Saloon for a night. Dress up in your Western gear, play sheriff (or outlaw), listen to country music, and enjoy the feature drinks.
- Justin Does Ottawa, with Shit Tax, Brutal Play, Dreaded Rebels. Dominion Tavern
- Les Stroud. Red Bird Live
- Saturn Sunrise. Stray Dog Brewing Company
- Morning Glory (Oasis tribute band). Overflow Brewing
- Lina Allemano Four. National Arts Centre
- Lonelyboyxxo, Yoharis, OC34N. City Sounds Live, Ottawa Art Gallery Jackson Cafe
- Miss McLeod, Incredible LJ, DJ Del Pilar. City Sounds Live, Ottawa Art Gallery
- Jamie Douglas. The Royal Oak (Blair Road location).
- Kev Sunshine. City at Night
- Private Name, Private Number, Tiana Lee, MacMuwsa, Beebe Ruth, King K LV. City Sounds Live, Ogilvy Square
- Doom ‘A Blue, Autowah, Alter of the Fuzz. Avant-Garde Bar
Just Announced / Now Booking
- For three nights, the Rainbow Bistro will host the inaugural Rocktoberfest, which combines rock music with Halloween, in a fundraising event for Orkidstra, the social development program that empowers kids through music. Tickets are on sale now for the October 26-28 event.
- Split Tree Cocktail Co has joined forces with 613 Plant Based and Sommelier Aryn Pepper for a series of Wine & Pizza Workshops on October 21 and October 27.
- With fewer than 20 days left until the end of the season, the Rogers Interzip crossing is now $19 (regularly $39.99).
- Stroked Ego, the menswear and accessories hotspot on the second floor at 131 Bank St., recently opened an event space above their shop. Stroked Ego says the space is suitable meetings, social events, workshops, and even pop up shops. It has exposed brick and plenty of light, and a great view of Bank Street. There's even a kitchenette. See the photos.